Saturday, July 25, 2009

Saturday, the 25th

Good morning, everyone. Sometimes the right call just isn't the right call. Baseball makes the smart look stupid and the stupid look smart sometimes. And then, on occasion, you just fudge everything up no matter what you do. That's been my story thus far in the 2nd half. Yes, it's very frustrating,but this is where the luck part of the game comes in. I agree that in the end, skill prevails. That said, I am making my lineups exactly the same as I was in the first half. Nothing has changed. Same strategy. Same stats. Same everything. The only difference is that my picks have sucked rocks. And so goes Baseball Challenge. Oh well. Today's a new day.

Every pick counts. My picks of Blackburn and Kershaw this half, just those two picks alone, have cost me 114 points. Had I been on the right side of those two games I would be ranked #632 in the 2nd half and #16 overall. Instead, I'm just another tool right now. As complex as we try to make this game sometimes, it really is that simple.

YESTERDAY

I guess Iwas wrong about theTigs staff. Just a little. Congrats to those of you that took them as it certainly paid off. Kershaw barely avoided the FU Hall as he only gave me 3 stinking points last night. That 44 point mistake hurts. Bad. The bats were poor overall, but they did give me a decent 43. My 46total for the day dropped me to #41 on the overall board, in danger of dropping off alltogether, and #14,776 in the second half. Man, that's pretty weak right there.

TODAY

It looks like the overwhelming majority has Lester today, so your bat picks will likely be what make or break your day. Massive movement will be fairly unlikely. Here's my final again...

C: Mauer
1B: Ryho
2B: Hill
3B: ARod
SS: Jeter
LF: Bay
CF: Hairston
RF: Werth
DH: Ortiz
PS: Lester

TOMORROW

Weather:
Whits Sox/Tigers Isolated t-storms
A's/Yanks Scattered t-storms
Giants/Rocks Scattered t-storms
Cards/Phils Scattered t-storms
Orioles/Red Sox Isolated t-storms
Pads/Nats Scattered t-storms

Teams Facing Lefty Starters:
Yanks, Rays, Padres, Mariners, Tigers

Teams Facing Rookie Starters:
Red Sox vs. Hernandez (2-2 3.66 in 6 starts)
Rockies vs. Sadowski (2-2 4.15 in 4)
Angels vs. Swarzak(2-3 4.15 in 7)
DBacks vs. Vazquez (1-4 5.54 in 3)

Potential Load-ups:
Rangers vs. Ponson (1-6 7.63)
Twins vs. Santana (3-5 6.79, .293 team BAA)
Phils vs. Wellemeyer (7-8 5.68)

Bats You May Want To Avoid:
Cameron (6-33, HR vs. starter)
D Ross (1-12)
Betancourt (7-43)
An Jones (1-11)
Beltre (4-26

Pitchers:
Braden (7-8 3.40, 3-1 3.96 July, at NYY)
Niemann (9-4 3.61, 2-0 2.25 July, 1-0 1.23 at Tor)
Lannan (7-7 3.38, Low K's, 4-1 1.99 home, vs. SD)
Millwood (9-7 3.44, 2-6 4.55 road, 1-2 7.33 July, 0-1 2.00 vs. KC)
Cook (9-3 3.94, 3-1 4.58 home, 1-0 4.70 July, vs. SF)
Lee (6-9 3.17, 2-2 2.32 July, 1-0 1.00 vs. Sea, Kerry MF'n Wood)
Sherzer (5-6 3.86, 103 K in 100 IP, 3-3 5.01 home, 0-1 4.76 July, vs. Pit)
Since Lee is on the banned list and Millwood has been atrocious lately, I have no other option but to go with Sherzer. It'll probably backfire on me, but at least he is facing a depleted Pirates lineup what wasn't very good in the first place.

First:
Tex (2-6 vs. good lefty)
Howard (2-5, HR)
Pujols (0-4)
Prince (4-11)
Morneau (4-11, HR)
I like Morneau, but I think I will stay with Howard for another day. He faces the weaker pitcher and is in the better hitters park, in my opinion.

Second:
Utley (4-8, 2HR)
Counsell (9-24)
Prado (2-3)
Kinsler (3-5)
I really want Utley, but Ponson is so stinking bad I have to give Kinsler a chance.

Third:
ARod (2-2, HR vs. good lefty)
Chipper (8-20, HR)
Wright (5-13)
Young (11-32, HR)
ARam (3-8)
Crede (4-12)
It's between ARod, Young and Aramis. ARod faces a decent pitcher and Young has little power. Since Owings is a mound turd, I think I will roll with Aramis.

Short:
Jeter (1-2 vs. good lefty)
Hardy (4-12)
Tejada (6-16)
Theriot (4-9)
Renteria (5-11 vs. good starter)
I like Tejada vs. Livan, but Jason Schmidt is early in his comeback and has never really impressed me. I like Hanley tomorrow.

Left:
G Anderson (2-4, HR)
BVSP obviously means nothing tomorrow. I like Braun, Manny and Ibanez. Either one will do well, I think. Since Lowe can be good, I will eliminate Braun. Ibanez is in the better hitters park, so let's go that way. I just saw, though that Manuel is looking for chances to sit Ibanez, particularly in day games. Give me Manny instead.

Center:
Victorino (1-3)
Hamilton (2-4)
Hamilton vs. Ponson........I'll buy that. He has sucked lately, but so has Sidney.

Right:
Luddy (2-5, HR)
Hart (5-13)
Church (4-5)
Pence (4-7)
Guillen (14-32, HR vs. good starter)
I think I'm actually going to continue my Rangers trend here and go with Nelson Cruz. Luddy and Werth were also considered.

DH:
I have nothing here. I need to have at least one bat against Santana tomorrow. Kubel fits that description.

Catcher:
Pudge (3-10 in day game)
Buck (7-15 vs. good starter in day game)
Olivo (4-10, HR vs. good starter in day game)
Benji (5-16 vs. good starter in day game)
Mauer (7-13)
Mauer it is - easy pick.

FINAL LINEUP

C: Mauer
1B: Howard
2B: Kinsler
3B: ARam
SS: Hanley
LF: Manny
CF: Hamilton
RF: Cruz
DH: Kubel
PS: Sherzer

DISCLAIMER

My picks are exactly that, my picks (and the way things have been going...). If you choose to follow my lead, you are welcome to do so at your own risk. Thanks as always for reading, please come again, and pass the word.


FU HALL OF FAME


Kerry MF'n Wood (Founder)
Nick MF'n Blackburn (Record Holder at -43)








3 comments:

  1. Gomer...I am really starting to lose faith in you. Your picks have been horrible and you seem too eager to just dismiss certain pitchers (and batters) and resort to name calling. A good example is Moyer, who you constantly put down but has pitched some very good games lately.... you must have had a lucky 1st half ....You are no better at this game than pineapple boy, I'm done with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care, and thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete