Friday, June 19, 2009

Friday, the 19th

Isn't interleague over after this weekend? I sure hope it is. I don't care what anyone says, it's just not interesting. These players switch teams so often these days that it's not like we haven't seen them before. I know some folks like it, but I just don't give a damn. On top of that, it makes fantasy ball miserable. On top of that, only in interleague play do we see a 5 hour rain delay like they had in New York yesterday. If Bud Selig is not the biggest jackass of all time, I don't know who is. He has fudged up pretty much everything he has touched since he has been the commissioner. Anyway, good morning and welcome back.

YESTERDAY

Yesterday has to have been the most uneventful day of the season. The vast majority had not only the same staff, but the same bats as well. By the time the Rangers game began, I had really lost interest in the whole night. Nonetheless, Haren came through with 14 pitching points (Chad Qualls sucks by the way). I got a lamw 23 from the bats, led by Young and Beltran with 7 each. Everyone else was pretty much useless. The Rangers/'Stros game was a classic game of hype. Most players loaded up with 3-5 bats in this one based on less than average starters. When these games come up, it is very common that we all end up disappointed. So this morning I am still #12 overall and now have a 104 point Leaderboard insurance policy. It feels good. It really does. However.....

TODAY

I went against every bit of good judgement I have and took the Indians again. I have only done that once this year and, after Lee pitched a gen, you know who f'd it all up. But what's done is done. I can only hope that the Cubbies bats continue to be dormant and that Lee goes the distance. If not, I'm sunk. It appears that pitching is wide open today. The LB and the Suspects appear to be totally torn between the Tribe, the Dodgers, and the A's. It could be one Hell of a moving day. I have a really, really bad feeling about this. Here's the final.....

C: VMart
1B: Pujols
2B: Hill
3B: Longoria
SS: Bartlett
LF: Bay
CF: Ellsbury
RF: Hart
DH: Ortiz
PS: Lee

TOMORROW

Weather:
Rays/Mets 80%
Orioles/Phillies 60%
Brewers/Sox 60%

Teams Facing Lefty Starters:
Indians, Rays, Reds, Nats, Jays, Phillies, Orioles, Giants, Padres, DBacks

Teams Facing Rookie Starters:
Brewers vs. Fagaro (MLB debut)
Nats vs. Cecil (2-1 4.38 in 4 starts)
Jays vs. Detwiler (0-3 5.23 in 6 starts)
A's vs. Silva (0-0 6.52 in 2 starts)

Batters to Avoid:
Hafner (2-12 vs. starter)
Crawford (3-19)
Bay (0-10)
Lowell (1-8)
Chipper (4-25, 2HR)
McCann (2-11)
Pudge (2-18)
Cantu (0-9)
Ethier (1-11)

Pitchers:
Lilly (7-4 2.94, 1-0 1.27 in June, 4-1 1.48 at home, vs. Cle)
Carp (4-1 1.59, 1-1 2.86 in June, 1-1 2.40 at home, at KC, due for another injury)
Shields (5-5 3.52, 1-3 4.15 on road, 1-1 3.48 in June, at Mets)
Johan (8-4 3.29, 94 K in 82 IP, no more than 7 IP in last 10, 5-1 2.14 at home, vs. TB)
Richard (2-1 3.76, has only gone 7 IP once, at Cin)
Cueto (6-4 2.17, less than 7 IP in 2 of 3, 2-1 0.93 in June, vs. CWS)
Beckett (7-3 4.15, 81 K in 82 IP, on fire till last start, .224 BAA vs. Atl)
Johnson (6-1 2.76, 7 + IP in last 5, 3-1 2.02 at home, 2-0 3.04 in June, vs. NYY)
Weaver (7-2 2.08, 1 R or less in 6 of last 8, 5-0 1.01 at home, 3-0 1.23 in June, vs. LAD and his brother)
Cain (9-1 2.39, 3-0 2.66 in June, 5-1 2.66 at home, vs. Tex)
Thie one is going to be tough. I like Lilly, Carp, Cueto, Becket and Weaver myself. I can take out Carp and Weaver due to Al parks, and Lilly because he has no bats behind him. You know, as I think about this more, Beckett is the pick. The braves top 2 hitters hit .167 against him combined. He also has the K's to back it up. That's my pick, weather permitting. I will check it again before the end of the night.

First:
Lee (7-20, 3HR and hot)
Miggy (2-6, HR)
Prince (vs. rookie)
Pujols (2-8)
Berkman (n/a)
Helton (n/a at Coors)
I'm going to take a chance here. With a high dollar PS, I have to do it eventually. Give me hot Derek Lee vs. Ohka

Second:
Polanco (2-5)
Schumaker (4-9)
Hill (vs. rookie lefty)
Scutaro (vs. lefty rookie)
I will stay with Hill here. He has done me right more than a few times.

Third:
I have nothing here at this time. Reynolds is a thought and Sandoval is worth a look, as is Figgins, but Scott Rolen is hot, hitting .358 vs. lefties, is on a good batting team, costs only 3.8mil and it's a night game. I'll take him and maybe trade up on the Lee deal if I have money later on.

Short:
Tejada (2-5)
I don't like this position at all tomorrow. I'll take Tejada by default.

Left:
Soriano (2-2)
Braun (vs. rookie)
Lind (vs. rookie lefty)
I really don't feel too good about Braun and his bad back, but I will take him for now. He is in the lineup tonight, so I assume he will go tomorrow as well.

Center:
Wells (vs. rookie lefty)
Hunter (12-25, 2HR if healthy)
Hunter is a must unless I see a reason to believe he won't play.

Right:
Hart (vs. rookie)
Pence (n/a)
Hawpe (n/a at Coors)
Vlad (6-19, HR)
Upton (n/a)
Mathews ( 6-12, 2HR)
I like Hart against a weak ass pitcher at home.

DH:
Rivera (2-3)
I like Luke Scott as well, But taking Rivera will allow me to get Mauer at catcher.


Catcher:
VMart (3-8 vs. good lefty starter)
Mauer (n/a)
Like I said above, Mauer it is.

FINAL LINEUP
C: Mauer
1B: Lee
2B: Hill
3B: Rolen
SS: Tejada
LF: Braun
CF: Hunter
RF: Hawpe
DH: Rivera
PS: Beckett

STAT CORNER

Let's look again at the best and worst bullpens year to date:

The best:
Red sox 2.90 ERA
Mariners 3.23
Mets 3.34
Dodgers 3.36
Cincy 3.37

The worst:
Angels 5.83
Nats 5.57
Indians 5.02
Rockies 4.93
DBacks 4.92

DISCLAIMER

My picks are my picks. If you choose to follow my lead, do so at your own risk. Thanks for reading, please come again, tell a friend and.....

I can't do it until after the game is over - bad juju.

3 comments:

  1. Just want to say that this is a great blog....
    keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this is the best...just realized JT was a part of the contributors here...really a good guy and how can you go wrong with Zeus, JT and yourself...top shelf all the way.
    Over the many years I have tried accuscore stats, roto-world, flip'n coins and even listening to some jackazz named Hawaii...who does'nt know shit from shine-ola (I guess I should not judge here...right), but this is really the best place to gain BBC knowledge and to be used as a viable resource...it really helps out.
    Thanks to the three amigo's for all that you do here...it's really appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, thats really good to hear - JT should be posting soon and Zeus is going bi-weekly. thanks for coming and i'm really glad you get value from it. that's why its here. sign on to the followers list if you like and, thanks again

    ReplyDelete