Thursday, August 20, 2009

OK, Time to Change It Up a Little

Guys, I'm bored. Bored so stiff at this point in the season that I have to make some drastic moves in effort to keep myself interested. So here is what I am going to do. Starting tomorrow, and over the next 30 days, I am going to try a little experiment. I will take each pitching staff ONCE, with no repeats. This means that once I take Lincy, he and the Giants staff will be dead to me until September 20th. I will do the exact same thing with the bats from each team. I will load up on each team offensively once, and no more. If I use the Yanks tomorrow, they are also dead to me until September 20th. Now not all teams have bats listed at every position, so I will self enact a rule saying that each load up will require a minimum of 7 bats. The other two positions can be used at my leisure when warranted.

There will be some serious factors to consider when doing this:
- I will have to check not only the daily starters, but the starters for the rest of the week, particularly near the end of the 30 days, so as not to corner myself.
- I will have to save DH teams (there are 4 currently scheduled during this stretch).
- I will have to look pray that if a last minute DH is scheduled, that I haven't used those teams yet
- Going into the last week or so, I will have to make sure that the remaining teams have games scheduled for the lat day of the trip, so as not to have to take an assload of DNP's.

...and these are just the ones that come to mind now, as I have certainly not thought this out thoroughly.

As for the blog, it will be reported in the same way it has been, except that I will be taking really screwed up lineups and I will have to go against the common sense pitching staffs quite often. Under the FINAL LINEUP category, I will list who I am taking and why I think they are the best option. There are three reasons why I am going to do this. First and foremost, I am bored out of my mind with everyone having the same basic guys every day. Secondly, I want to see how it effects my overall and second half rankings. If I fall, I fall. It will still be cool to see how it shakes out. Finally, I want and need the challenge.

Anyway, keep an eye out for this, starting later tonight, when I make tomorrows team. You may enjoy following my journey.

7 comments:

  1. Gomer hey, what are you doing? I'm even you my friend! who is this you are doing? =( Good or bad??? Do not do this now! =(

    i will follow tomorrow!!! xD

    i am #86 overall man!!!#279 2nd half

    ReplyDelete
  2. we'll see daniel - i've never tried this before. there will be good and bad days, i assue you. only time will tell. i will be tracking the results daily, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok my friend i will follow you, but a little change i will do!!!

    my line up for tomorrow:

    mauer
    brayan
    lopez
    A-rod
    tulo
    bay
    guti
    ichiro
    papi
    jackson

    if you will do tomorrow a great day!!! saturday will go = you!!!

    xD

    good luck my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gomer, for the first time, the Panama guy is going to be right:
    - You did not post your position (rank)
    - You did not post the weather
    - And your picks will suck
    LOL Just kidding... enjoy the journey and have fun (after all that´s what baseball is about for most of us)
    To Panamanian:
    Yes, I liked your country and the people (although the weather is terribly hot there - fortunately some women are too IoI) And I live in Venezuela
    Take care
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. there were 2 posts yesterday - look under "thursday, the 20th". rank and weather were included as always

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I know that, but I meant today (but it was just kidding anyway)
    About the experiment you started, I once suggested to create one or two leagues (mostly for the fun of it, but helpful at the same time for "your real team"):
    1- Favorites league. Every manager has 1, 2 or 3 teams and only can pick players from those teams (helps when you are planning a load up with "your real team")
    2- Cheap players league. Every manager can pick players and PS under a certain amount of money (helps you find cheap players for "your real team")
    Didn´t find candidates at the time
    Has anyone tried something like that before?
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. ive never done it, but a few years ago we had a "no change league". nomore than one player per team, no changes all season, injuries are tough luck. worked pretty well.

    ReplyDelete