Monday, August 3, 2009

Monday, the 3rd

Good morning, everyone. There are what, 60 days or so left in the season? If you need to get serious, I suggest you start thinking about doing so soon. The season has flown by and it will not be long before it's over. Hell, I just started this site about 9 weeks ago and it seems like yesterday. And since the site has come up again, I will thank you all once more for making it worthwhile. Much appreciated.

YESTERDAY

I don't say this to roll over on you all who went with Hamels, but I really couldn't understand that pick. Unfortunately, it didn't work out to well while Wainwright continued to be a viable option, putting up a decent 20 in a loss. Had Fat Al and Co. brought any game at all, the Cards would have won that one. My bats were decent, led by VMart (11), Grady (9), Tulo (8) and Zo (6). The rest of them pretty much sucked, but the 41 bat points combined with Wainwright to give me a 61, moving me up to #27 overall and #1427 in the 2nd half. It was a good week, to say the least.

TODAY

Haren edged out Verlander as the most popular pitcher, but it was a close one. Cain got some play as well, but was a distant third. Amazingly enough, every one of my picks was the most popular, position by position. I think this is the first time that has ever occurred. I doubt we will see much movement today, as all three pop staffs are sure to be good for at least 20, one would think. Here's the final again...

C: McCann*
1B: Lee*
2B: Phillips*
3B: Reynolds*
SS: Theriot:
LF: Dunn*
CF: Granderson*
RF: Upton*
DH: Cust*
PS: Haren of the Desert*

TOMORROW

Weather:
DBacks/Pirates (scattered t-storms)
Orioles/Tigers (scattered)
Cubs/Reds (scattered)
Twins/Indians (isolated t-storms)
Mariners/Royals (isolated)

Teams Facing Lefty Starters:
Twins, Indians, Orioles, Rocks, DBacks, Jays, Rays, Reds, Cards, 'Stros, Royals, A's, Rangers

Teams Facing Rookie Starters:
Tigers vs. Matusz (MLB debut)
Marlins vs. Martin (0-2 7.50 in 3 starts)

Possible Load-ups:
Twins vs. Huff (5-5 6.39)
Marlins vs. Martin (0-2 7.50)
Rangers vs. Gonzalez (2-2 7.38)

Bats You May Want to Avoid:
Roberts (4-31 vs. starter)
C Jackson (0-11)
Overbay (2-24)
Hill (3-17)
Lind (2-12)
Cano (7-38, 2HR)
Swisher (2-14)
Pedroia (3-23)
Lowell (3-20)
Ortiz (2-16, 2HR)
Youk (3-16)
Drew (2-13)
Phillips (2-11)
Lugo (4-25)
Ludwick (2-18, HR)
Dye (8-41, 2HR)
Thome (0-15)
Figgins (3-19)

Pitchers:
Washburn (8-6 2.64, 1.07 WHIP, 2-0 0.87 post break, 1-1 0.56 vs. Bal)
Johnson (10-2 2.87, 1.12 WHIP, 2-0 4.15 post break, 1-0 3.94 at Was)
Halladay (11-4 2.68, 1.07 WHIP, 7-2 2.57 home, 1-1 1.80 post break, 1-0 3.38 vs. NYY)
Lester (9-7 3.90, 148 K in 134 IP, 4-4 4.52 road, 1-1 4.05 post break, 0-2 12.54 at Tam)
Garza (7-8 3.69, 2-0 1.66 vs. Bos)
Pineiro (9-9 2.84, 1.07 WHIP, Low K's, 2-0 0.86 post break, 2-0 1.06 at NYM)
Johan (12-8 2.96, 128 K in 137 IP, 8-2 1.69 home, 2-1 2.18 post break, 1-0 1.29 vs. StL)
Lackey (7-4 4.00, 3-1 4.02 road, 3-0 1.14 post break, at CWS)
Vazquez (8-7 3.01, 1.05 WHIP, 158 K in 140 IP, at SD)
Gallardo (10-7 3.13, 147 K in 135 IP, 2-0 2.66 post break 0-1 9.00 at LAD)
As you can see, there are a number of viable options to chose from. Johnson, Pineiro, and Johan are among my favorites here, butI have to take Vaz in San Diego. His numbers, plus the K's and the lack of a Pad's offense make it too much to pass on.

First:
Morneau (2-3 vs. lefty)
Helton (4-13 vs. lefty)
Votto (1-3 vs. lefty)
Lee (8-19)
Pujols (3-8, HR vs. good lefty)
LaRoche (3-3)
As well as Justin hits lefties, I have to go with the Twin. There is not really anyone else for me this time.

Second:
Utley (1-2)
Chase is a pretty clear pick here. Poor pitching against him, hitters park, etc.

Third:
Reynolds (4-7. HR vs. good lefty)
ARod (20-66, HR vs. good starter)
Longoria (5-12, HR vs. good lefty)
Rolen (2-5 vs. lefty)
Wright (5-14 vs. good starter)
Sandoval (1-2, HR)
As hot as Reynolds is right now, he has not done a whole lot against lefties, home runs included. It looks like he should be the clear pick, but I am going to step out with Michael Young against a struggling Gonzalez.

Short:
Drew (3-10 vs. good lefty)
Theriot (8-19)
Renteria (2-2)
With Hanley's health in question and Tulo's average stats vs. lefties, I will go after J-Roll again. He continues to hit well and is the next best option.

Left:
Ibanez (2-5, HR)
Spilborghs (4-2, 2HR vs. lefty)
Damon (30-86, 2HR vs. good starter)
Crawford (6-19, HR vs. good lefty)
Fonzie (7-15, 3HR)
Lee (1-2, HR vs. lefty)
Quentin (4-6, 2HR)
Manny (2-2 vs. good starter)
I just have to follow the numbers here. Cueto is really having a rough run right now and Fonz has owned him.

Center:
Sizemore (12-31)
Span (2-3 vs. lefty)
Ad Jones (4-12 vs. good lefty)
Victorino (1-1)
Wells (16-41, HR vs. lefty)
Ellsbury (9-23 vs. good starter)
At 4.1 mil, Grady is a steal right now and Baker is no prize pitcher either. Easy pick for me.

Right:
Cake (8-20 vs. good lefty)
Hawpe (2-5, HR vs. lefty)
Upton (2-4 vs. good lefty)
Rios (8-24, HR vs. lefty)
Abreu (5-12, HR)
At first look, I would say that Hawpe is the obvious pick. However, he only has a handful of longballs and a poor average against lefties, while Upton hits .390 against them. No brainer.

DH:
Hafner (10-21, 4HR)
Griff (3-6)
Cust (2-2 vs. lefty)
I can't tell you the last time I took Hafner. But I'll have him tomorrow, with numbers like that. Seriously, it's probably been two years.

Catcher:
Mauer (3-3, HR vs. lefty)
Zaun (7-23, HR vs. good starter)
Doumit (1-3)
VMart (3-10 vs. good starter)
Soto (5-14, HR)
Mauer. I like Doumit, but he hasn't been hitting too well lately. This makes the Mauer pick an easy one.

FINAL LINEUP

C: Mauer
1B: Morneau
2B: Utley
3B: Young
SS: Rollins
LF: Soriano
CF: Grady
RF: Upton
DH: Pronk
PS: Vazquez

STAT CORNER

Best Batting Averages vs. Lefties (75 AB min):
Jeter .434
Wright .430
Braun .400
Callaspo .398
Kemp .393
Napoli .391
J Upton .390
Konerko .390

Best Batting Averages vs. Righties (150 AB min):
Mauer .389
Ichiro .360
Hanley .359
Morgan .356
Figgins .349
McCann .343
Kubel .340
Votto .337

DISCLAIMER

My picks are exactly that, my picks. If you choose to follow my lead, you are welcome to do so at your own risk. Thanks as always for reading, please come again, and pass the word if you will.

FU HALL OF FAME

Kerry MF'n Wood (Founder, -14, -11, -7, -6)
Nick MF'n Blackburn (record holder at -43)
Jake MF'n Peavy (2 time offender at -8 and -2)
Houston MF'n Astros Staff(-4)
Los Angeles MF'n Dodgers Staff (-11)
Zach MF'n Greinke (-4)

8 comments:

  1. HELLO GOMER, COINCIDES ALL TODAY WITH THE LINEUP BECAUSE THEY READ ALSO YOUR BLOG. JAJAJAJAJA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my friend, who is Pronk? Thank bro!!!
    Very good last week 457 xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. pronk is travis hafner. i'm not sure why, but that's what they call him.

    nice week, pal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jejeje ok thanks my friend and good luck this week for us

    ReplyDelete
  5. gomer...the season does seem like it is flying by...just want to thank the three Amigo's (JT, Zeus and yourself)for give'n me a chance to chill with some real BBC pros, instead of the BBC BS board with the grass skirt dude. I know you took a chance on me, but I do not feel I was too much of a pain in the ass. Would have liked to have contributed more, but maybe next year eh...Many, Dp 2 and most on here really do appreciate what you guys have done.
    I think toms L/U is one of the most offensive power L/U's we have had for awhile. I am always a bit leary of Fonzy, cause he never seems to get me pts when I pick him, but his numbers against Cueto (15 7 3 3 0 2 .467 .467 1.067) are pretty damn strong, so hopefully we will be danc'n the happy dance 2morrow evening...
    Again thanks for all you do...
    PEACE :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert, this is not a chat room, please do your chating with that big mouth at the other board

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will continue to post where and what I want to. I will do this because I do not see gomer on the BBC board that often and really appreciate what he has done. Also, I appreciate the fact that he, JT and Zeus have allowed me an option, when others have tried to silence me. Stalin was real good at telling people where and when they could speak. You sound just like that person. Until you can get off your couch and actually acomplish something like the 3 Amigo's have...shut the F up jackass. I always like the way you hide under your anony-mouse header and I spelled it that way because I fill you are. I know it probably just pisses you off to know end that I can be on any board for that matter. Until freedom of speach is banned I will post where I like. I would suggest you grow up and get a real life. This is about fun an commaradery, not hate, so knock it off pal...just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  8. play nice, everybody - and i do mean everybody. thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete