Monday, August 17, 2009

Monday, the 17th

Good morning, everyone. Sometimes a double dip is just what the doctor ordered. Then again, sometimes it's not. Some of my favorite days playing this game have been when I went against common sense and picked the weakest end of a DH, and then saw it pay off. Some of my most miserable days have been when I did the exact same thing, only to see it crumble in front of me (remember the White Sox a few years back). A double header is certainly a chance to get double the points, but is can also ruin your season. The bottom line is that if you want to go big, you have to be prepared to fall big as well.

YESTERDAY

As you may have seen, I in no way endorsed my lineup for yesterday. It was thrown together in mere minutes, but managed to work out well. Yes, I had the Marlins staff which, thanks to a ton of strikeouts, manager to put up a decent 29 points. The Rocks ended the day just above freezing with 2, I believe and no one saw the Harden rain out coming. Because of this, we Marlins takers reap great benefit from yesterday's work. My bats were solid, led by Hanley (13), Cohglan (13), Ross (10), and Hawpe (9). They gave me 61 total points and my 90 overall bounced me up to #23 overall and #373 in the half (a second half high). It's taken way too long to get me here, but I am finally beginning to rise some. Of course, you know what this means....

TODAY

41% of us went with Hanson and the Braves today. I feel pretty certain they will get it in, but there may be a delay or two in Atlanta. 31% took Carp and another 16% have Burnett. Again, there could be some good movement today, as none of the staffs are surefire guarantees, in my opinion. Here is my final again, along with the top picks...

C: Benji (Mauer*)
1B: Pujols*
2B: Roberts (Kinsler*)
3B: ARod*
SS: Jeter*
LF: Braun*
CF: Cameron (Hamilton*)
RF: Markakis*
DH: Thome (Kubel*)
PS: Hanson*

TOMORROW

Weather:
Angels/Indians scattered t-storms
Brewers/Pirates scattered
Giants/Reds scattered
Mariners/Tigers scattered

Teams Facing Lefty Starters:
Pirates, Red Sox, Orioles, Braves, A's

Teams Facing Rookie Starters:
Indians vs. Bell (0-0 6.75 in 1 start)
Marlins vs. Norris (3-0 3.00 in 3)
Cubs vs. Carullo (0-1 30.86 in 1)

Possible Load-ups:
Angels vs. Carmona (2-7 6.37)
Rays vs. Berken (2-10 6.63)

Bats You May Want to Avoid:
Taveras (2-14 vs. starter)
Francouer (3-18, HR)
Castillo (3-16)
D Ross (2-23)
Diaz (4-22)
An Jones (2-20)
AJ (5-27)

Pitchers:
Felix (12-4 2.72, 158 K in 165 IP, 8-1 1.96 road, 1-0 2.25 August, 2-0 2.77 at Det)
Jimenez (10-9 3.47, 3-0 1.19 Aufust, at Was)
Beckett (14-4 3.10, 1.11 WHIP, 2-0 0.86 August, .324 BAA at Tor)
Romero (10-5 3.70, 1-1 4.26 August, 0-2 9.72, .333 BAA vs. Bos)
Lince (12-3 2.19, 1.02 WHIP, 205 K in 172 IP, 5-2 2.46 road, 1-0 1.52 August, 0-0 2.57 at Cin)
Lowe (12-7 4.08, 6-4 4.38 road, 1-0 3.55 at NYM)
Feldman (12-4 3.90, 4-3 4.28 home, 4-2 4.08 post break, 0-1 4.50 vs. Min)
CC (13-7 3.64, 1.14 WHIP, 3-0 2.38 August, 1-0 5.93 at Oak)
Bills (11-6 3.73, 143 K in 149 IP, 1-0 0.82 August, 0-1 9.53 vs. StL)
Looking at Beckett's career numbers vs. Toronto, I will pass on him. Felix is a pretty good option, as is CC. However, I think I have to go with Lince again. Unless I see something tonight that assures me the weather is going to me more of an issue than it is, I will stay with him as well. If the forecast gets too dicey, I will probably change to CC.

First:
Miggy (4-8 vs. good starter)
Howard (1-3, HR)
Youk (2-4, 2HR vs. good lefty)
Morneau (3-9 vs. good starter)
Berkman (4-8, HR)
Tex (2-3, HR)
Berkman is very intriguing for tomorrow. I have a feeling he will do well,but I think I will take Ryho at home. He has wrmed up a little over the past few days and is hopefully ready to go on a run.

Second:
Polanco (6-15 vs. good starter)
Barmes (2-3)
F Lopez (3-3)
Pedroia (2-5, HR vs. good lefty)
Kinsler (2-2)
I like taking at least one bat vs. Carl Pavano whenever I can. This time it's Kinsler. Although his batting average is under .250, he hits .294 at home.

Third:
Chipper (11-29, HR vs. lefty)
Young (2-2)
Crede (3-7 vs. good starter)
It's tempting for me to take Reynolds vs. Pedro, just to prove how little confidence I have in the new Philly. But, I will let common sense prevail and take Longoria vs. a struggling Berken instead.

Short:
Scutaro (3-7 vs. good starter)
Escobar (5-10, HR vs. lefty)
Tejada (4-12)
Hanley (2-3, HR)
Norris has started his career off on the right foot. Nonetheless, I am going to take Hanley against him.

Left:
Dunn (3-7 vs. good starter)
Ibanez (22-62, 2HR)
Sheff (9-19, 2HR)
G Anderson (3-6, 2HR vs. lefty)
DeJesus (11-28)
Damon (2-3)
I don't see anything here that clearly stands out, so I guess I will stay with Braun. Against the Bucs, he is sure to come through with something for me. I don't trust Sheff and Damon is better at home.

Center:
Granderson (9-22, HR vs. good starter)
Wells (9-28, 5HR vs. good starter)
Byrd (9-21, HR)
Bourne (3-9)
Ross (2-3)
I've been spending quite alot and, since I need to cut back somewhere, I cannot pass on Wells' stats ve. Beckett. That's just flat out impressive, enough so that I really don't care who the starter is.

Right:
Ichiro (2-6)
Church (3-5 vs. lefty)
Cuddyer (3-8, 2HR vs. good starter)
Pence (3-7, 3HR)
Rios (11-18)
In the same way that I had to go with Vernon, I will do the same with Pence. Three dingers in 7 at bats is not too shabby.

DH:
Lind (3-6, HR vs. good starter)
Ortiz (3-5 vs. good lefty)
Thome (10-33, HR but hurt)
Jacobs (2-2, HR)
OK, it's time to get a little crazy. I'm going to risk it with Mike Jacobs. He has been hitting pretty decent lately and Freddie Garcia is less than enough to scare me away from the cheap bat.

Catcher:
Barajas (4-10, HR vs. good starter)
Benji (1-3, HR)
Mauer (3-8 vs. good starter)
Posada (2-3)
Yadi (3-9 vs. good starter)
It's either going to be VMart or Mauer here. They both face decent young pitchers and they are both terrific bats. In the end, I will take Mauer, simply because he is facing the Rangers in a Hell of a hitters park. It's basically a coin-flip situation here.

FINAL LINEUP

C: Mauer
1B: Howard
2B: Kinsler
3B: Longoria
SS: Hanley
LF: Braun
CF: Wells
RF: Pence
DH: Jacobs
PS: Lincy

STAT CORNER

Benji Molina is hitting .265 on the season, with 15 HR and 63 RBI in 103 games. When Tim Lincecum pitches, Benji hits .319 with 6 Homers and 21 RBI in 24 games.
Lince has started 23% of the games in which Benji has played. In these games, he has hit 40% of his home runs, drivin in 33% of his RBI's and hits 54 percentage points higher.

Hitting with Bases Loaded - Season Leaders (7 AB min.)
Helton .714, 1 HR, 15 RBI (7AB)
Hunter .667, 15 RBI (9AB)
Pujols .667, 5 HR, 27 RBI (12AB)
VMart .625, 10 RBI (8AB)
Victorino .625, 1HR, 13 RBI (8AB)
Span .600, 15 RBI (10AB)
D Lee (.583, 2HR, 22 RBI (12AB)

DISCLAIMER

My picks are exactly that, my picks. If you choose to follow my lead, you are welcome to do so at your own risk. Thanks as always for reading, please come again, and pass the word if you will.

FU HALL OF FAME

Kerry MF'n Wood (Founder, -14, -11, -7, -6)
Nick MF'n Blackburn (record holder at -43)
Jake MF'n Peavy (2 time offender at -8 and -2)
Houston MF'n Astros Staff(-4)
Los Angeles MF'n Dodgers Staff (-11)
Zach MF'n Greinke (-4)

4 comments:

  1. Very good info about Molina. I wanted him because he faces a weak pitcher tomorrow but had serious doubts (he is my "favorite" DNP player Arghh!) Now it looks like he will play. Hope so.
    (and I hope he also plays today, I have him too)
    Tnx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gomer Pyle, I am the Panamanian wrote to you a few days, still have not seen your rank yet, I moved up to 1400's thanks to the DH, why you did not tell us Tomko is pitching for the A's today? notice you have 2 Yanks in the line up and I have none

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Panama, you must be trying to stir crap up! Gomer's rank is always there dude. Why come here. OH WAIT!!!!! I know....YOU KNOW POOP ABOUT BASEBALL AND THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN MOVE UP IS TO FOLLOW GOMER'S LEAD. IT'S OK, SOMEDAY YOU CAN ACTUALLY FOLLOW BASEBALL AND NOT RELY ON GOMER!.....BUT HEY, LOVE YOUR SIGHT GOMER, KEEP IT UP BRO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gomer Pyle goes by the numbers, I go by my instinct, don't you have your own instinct? why play if you have someone make your line up for you? Foollllllllllllllllll

    ReplyDelete