Saturday, May 23, 2009

Saturday the 23rd

Well here we are, up and running. I will try to do this on a daily basis although some entries will be shorter than others due to time issues (with a wife, two kids and a job......). Here is how I kind of see this going: I will bgin with my laments from the previous day andan update on my rank in the game, just a quick review. Then I will review my lineup from today, along with some thoughts on it. I will finish by adding my thoughts on tomorrows games and post my lineup.

If you like it, let me hear it. and if you think I suck, say so. "I'm a man, I'm 40!" (actually 36, but close enough). Here goes...........

YESTERDAY

So yesterday sucked! How's that for a good start? Miggy, Kinsler and Granderson were kind enough to go 0-13 combined and Yadi took the day off.
bats 4, points 0.
Hardy, Braun and Dye pitched in with 6 points for me. Well done boys. Why do I pay you again?
Bats 7, points 6.
Sheff was a nice pick and should be all weekend with the DH in play at Fenway. He and AROID both went deep and gave me 16 more. Final tally -
Bats 9, Points 22.
Pretty shitty effort there.
On to the pitching. As most of you did, I went out on a limb with Doc Halliday. He did his job but, due to a piss poor attempt by the Jays offense only got me a 20. At the end of the day, I can handle that. I almost never complain about a 20 from my PS. Still, I wish I had rolled with Jake the Snake against thelowly Cubs. That was the pick of the day.

In the end, I picked up a weak 42 points. This week I have dropped from #11 on the leaderboard to a rather creepy #49. Actually I'm tied for 49th. I feel kind of like the fat girl at the prom. Yeah, I belong there but no one really cares if they notice it at all. Hell, at least I'm there. There are many people that would trade with me if they could. That said, after taking 7 years to get there, I'm not quite ready to give it up. On to today..........

TODAY

I really didn't get a good feel for my bats when setting my lineup last night. With interleague play there are not too many head to head numbers to go by. Yeah, Coors East is a solid option, but all I really wanted to do was to go with either a Baltimore or Milwaukee loadup. I won't spend too much time with this, but here is what I went with:
c - McCaan - I know, you took Mauer
1b - Prince - has always done me well and Teix can't keep it up for ever
2b - Roberts - Kinsler has sucked this week
3b - ARoid - on fire
ss - Jeter - hate him, but a good option
lf - Braun - better not let me down again
cf - Adam Jones - I really like this kid
rf - Choo - first time ever, should have gone with Cuddyer
dh - Kubel - solid option
ps -Haren - same as everyone

It's all about the bats today since the vast majority took Haren of the desert. I think it is going to take 33-35 to keep me on the LB.

TOMORROW

Lets start with the weather. Cincy and Atlanta currently have a 60% chance of rain. I'm not too worried about it and guarantee they will play here in Atlanta. Lets move on.

Teams facing lefties - Colorado, Philly, the Yanks, Pitt, Texas, Zona, SD and Seattle

Pitchers first -always. There are many options here.
Dontrelle Willis - has to be good a few more times before I am buying.
CC - man, I want to, but Coors East scares me. Then again, he has been automatic lately.
Lee - I love the matchup. He has 7 straight quality starts, but is only 2-5. FU Kerry Wood.
Cueto - .109 BAA, has gone at least 7 last 7 times out. Too many bats for the Tribe.
Shields - poor outings in 2 of last 3 - not enough K's.
Johnson - 1.24 ERA at home, but the Rays bats make me nervous.
Richmond - 4.56 May ERA, nah.
Jurrjens - Eventually he has to fall, also gets no run support
Wake - not against the Mets
Buerhle - 4-0 with a 1.67 ERA at home, no bats to support him
Bannister - shelled last outing,not against Pujols and Co.
Lilly - Interested in this one, vs. SD, but a 5.87 road ERA
Zito - not enough K's and has to show me more before I bite
Felix - vs. San Fran,but has a 6.75 May ERA
Bills - 6-1, 2.51 ERA, 9 for 9 in Q starts, 9k per 9 IP - this is my guy

First base - Pujols, Prince and Branyan. I don't like Fat Al's matchup with Bannister and I feel good about the Brew Crew tomorrow - Prince for now.

Second base - Polanco, Phillips, Uggla, Castillo. Phillips and Uggla face good pitching and I really don't care for Placido. I will need to save money somewhere. I'll pencil in Castillo.

Third base - ARoid, Lowell, Young, Hall. I'll give Alex a day off with Hamels going. I can see the Red Sox and Brewers going off, but I am going to go with Young. Hampton sucks. Nevermind, back to ARoid. Young has struggled a little lately and Madonna's boy toy is on fire.

Short - Jeter, Hanley, Tejada, O.C., Theriot, Hardy. Theriot has 2 HR's vs. Young, but has not been hot lately. Hardy burned me last night. Jeter and Hanley face good starters. O.C - not enough pop. Tejada is tearing it up right now and McCarthy is less than impressive. I'll take him.

Left - Damon, Bay, Fonzie. Soriano will either go for 20 or zero. I can't take 2 Yanks vs. Hamels and already have Alex. Bay for me.

Center - Beltran or Cameron. Simple - I don't trust Cameron and if Carlos gets a hold of one of those knucklers.......

Right - Drew, Pence, Upton, Cuddyer. Don't trust Drew, Pence is hot and Texas has shit PS, Upton faces a rook. Not so fast, my friend (Corso). Cincotta is as hot as Cuddyer and Mike C is 6-11 with a long ball vs. the starter. No brainer.

DH - Sheff or Cust - Sheff for me. Took care of me last night and earns another shot.

Catcher - I hate catchers. Pudge, Larue, Suzuki, Soto, Mauer, Kendall. Not enough in the bank to get Mauer. Kendall should start the night game and is 3-8 vs. the starter.

I have 800k left. Castillo is the pick I have the least confidence in. Uggla is en fuego this week. Let's get him.

FINAL LINUEP (unless something changes tonight)

C - Kendall
1B - Prince
2B - Uggla
3b - ARoid
ss - Tejada
LF - Bay
CF - Beltran
RF - Cuddyer
DH - Sheff
PS - Bills

Finally, and thanks for being patient. These articles will not always be this long I don't think.
My picks are my picks. I AM NOT telling you who to take so, if you follow my lead, do so at your own risk. If there is something you would like to see or if you see something you don't like - let me know.

If I change my lineup, it will be posted - unless I'm to hammered to do it. Tonight feels like a Crown and Coke kind of night.

Hope you enjoy............

FU Kerry Wood

5 comments:

  1. Very nice gomer. Great analysis, I enjoyed it.

    Will probably be making some different choices though, haha..of course.

    -MRow

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, pal. as long as you and othere keep reading, i'll keep posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real nice Gomer. I would have added Young to the pitching choices against the non hitting Cubs in SD. Keep up the good work.
    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, Ed, and please keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Went with CC because I missed out on him last time. Same thing happens to me with Peavy. Hoping for the best but I spent so much time trying to decide between Bills and CC, I forgot about Felix. I think King Felix might be the pick tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete