Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday the 29th

Good morning, everyone. Our hits dropped again, down to 145 yesterday, although I am not too surprised since there was so few games. I still think it is amazing that we are getting this kind of action. I thank you all for the support. If you decide not to come back, drop me a line and let me know why. I can use that information to save the next one, you know.

A few things to note: I have added to the left of you a few links to sites I use that you may find helpful. More will come in the near future. Also, I am working on having a guest poster or two pitch in with some interesting articles. You can look forward to seeing the first of these within the next week after I get the fine details worked out.

YESTERDAY

Did you have Luke Scott? Varitek? I sure didn't. Aside from them, the bats were pretty much worthless yesterday. Superstar Juan Pierre led my pack with a whopping 4 points. He continues to pay off day after day. Haren of the Desert came through with a fat 28, giving me a total of 43 for the day. As I said yesterday, it was a "tread water" kind of day. I moved up to # 76 overall, climbing for the 4th straight day, and am now only 17 off the Leaderboard pace.

TODAY

Doubleheader Friday! This will simply come down to only a few picks. I went "balls out" with the Rangers after simmering on it for most of the day. The last time the Rangers played a DH their pitchers combined for a -97 points. However, to my surprise, it looks like many of you followed suit. Well over 90% of the usual suspects and leaders have Kinsler, Young, Holliday, Hamilton and Cruz. Therefore, I could really care less what they do today. How about that? It's not even 10 a.m. and half of my team has no relevence whatsoever. Remember yesterday when I told you that DH's come down to only a few picks? In this case, it's 5. Here is the Lineup again:

C - Mauer (Salty was 2nd most popular)
1B - Giambi (Davis was 2nd)
2B - Kinsler
3B - Young
SS - Cabrera (Andrus was 2nd)
LF - Holliday
CF - Hamilton
RF - Cruz
DH - Blalock (Cust was the favorite)
PS - Texas (Dodgers were 2nd)

TODAY

Weather - Det/Balt 50%, Was/Philly 50%, Fla/Mets 60%. I see nothing here to be concerned about and will make my picks freely.

Teams facing lefties - Boston, The Cubs, Atlanta, Tampa, Minn, Cleveland, Wash, KC, Tex, StL

Teams facing rookies - Minnesota (Price went 3 1/3, walking 5 vs. the Indians earlier this week)

Pitcher - Many to choose from today, but I think this one is easy
Johnson - 2 runs or less in last 5 starts, 1-1 2.76 in May, .203 BAA, pitchers park
Vazquez - rocked in last start, 4.22 May ERA, 78 K in 64 IP, .167 BAA
Verlander - 85K in 63 IP, 6 straight Q starts, 4-0 1.02 in May, 2-2 5.17 on road, .109 BAA
CC - 3-1 2.33 in May, 7+ IP in last 4 starts
Hamels - .226 BAA, 2-0 2.88 in May, 43 K in 42 IP
Buerhle - 3-1 2.31 in May, 2-1 4.58 on road, no bats behind him
Carpenter - 23 scoreless IP this year, .195 BAA, almost perfect last time out
Felix - got railed by the Angers 10 days ago
Wandy - facing the lowly Bucs, but I'm not going to get 8 unearned again
I am most interested in Verlander, CC and Carpenter. In the end, between the Indians, O's and Giants, San Fran clearly has the worst bats, plays in a pitchers park, and is in the National League. I will be fishing with the Carp.

First - Tex (4-11,HR), Prince (9-30, 2HR), Howard (2-5, HR), Gonzales (Coors), Pujols (4-7, HR). Right now, I am leaning towards Fat Al. Onsecondthought, Coors isa much better park and AGon faces the weakest pitcher.

Second - K. Johnson (3-6 and hitting well), Cano (4-12 on the hottest team), Utley (2-4), Kinsler. This one will take some thought. I can't take Kelly against the lefty and Kinsler is a beast at home.

Third - Hall (16-44, 3HR), Young. Hall could be a nice El Cheapo Especial. Hall hasn't don anything lately though, so I'm going to roll with a surprise pick - Joe Crede at the low cost of 3.8.

Short - Jeter (4-11 and having a great week). He is the only one that looks good so far. Tejada is worth a look, but I have to have at least one Yankee. Jeter it is.

Left - Pierre (5-12), Ibanez (4-6). I love Juan, but it will be hard not to take Raul. So I will.

Center - Granderson (2-5), Cameron (5-17), Victorino (2-6), McLouth (2-2), Hamilton, Fowler (2-2). Fowler may be a money saving pick as well, if needed. Dexter Fowler at 3.4 mil. is the El Cheapo Especial of the day.

Right - Rios (5-8), Ethier (5-11, HR), Pence, Cruz. Nothing impresses me too much here. In looking at what they have done this week, Cruz is a must have.

DH - Matsui (4-6), Thome (10-31, HR). UGGHH! I hate to do it,but maybe the old man will come through. Thome

Catcher - McCann (4-11), Yadi (3-6), Johjima (2-3), Mauer if I can afford him. I also feel pretty good about Big Mac. As much as I like McCann, I have to pull the trigger for Mauer. Whoa! Over the cap! Someone has to go, and it's going to be Thome. When in doubt, drop the oldest one and replace him with.......Godzilla's old ass.

Tomorrow will be a moving day. The key to the day will be in the pitching. With many good options, the leaders will be split. Choose wisely.

FINAL LINEUP
C - Mauer
1B - Gonzales
2B - Kinsler
3B - Crede
SS - Jeter
LF - Ibanez
CF - Fowler
RF - Cruz
DH - Matsui
PS - Carp

STAT CORNER

Fact of the day - After last night's win, Cleveland has won 17 straight over Tampa Bay at the Jake. It is the longest streak of this kind in Baseball history. You would think they brought back Bob Feller.

There is nothing worse than having your staff killed by poor defense. Below are the top and bottom teams in errors comitted:
1. Philly 14
2. San Diego 19
3. Minn. 19
4. Dodgers 20
5. Yanks 20

30. Wash 45
29. Zona 40
28. Florida 39
27. Seattle 38
26. Mets 36

There is nothing like a good day from your starter that is blown by a weak pen either. Below are the top and bottom teams in saves blown:

1. Cincy 1 (who knew)
2. Texas 3
3. Boston 3
4. Oakland 4
5. Colorado 4

30. Wash 13
29. Houston 11
28. Dodgers 11 (amazing, with a 34-15 record)

DISCLAIMER

My picks are my picks. I do not tell anyone who to take for their teams. If you choose to follow my lead, do so at your own risk. Thanks for reading, please come again, tell a friend and, as always.....

FU Kerry Wood


1 comment: