Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wednesday the 27th

Guys, we actually exceeded 200 hits yesterday and are averaging 179 per day. Wow! I would have been happy with 30-40 a day when I started this thing. I really appreciate all of you for checking it out. Feel free to register as a follower. I don’t know exactly what that does, but it doesn’t cost anything. And now that our hits are a high as they are, I’m beginning to expect it of you. Please keep coming back. Over the weekend, I will be making a few changes/new features maybe adding a guest writer or two, all in effort to keep improving it. If you have any suggestions, please drop me a line. On to the game……

YESTERDAY

Two good days in a row, gents, and I’m feeling good. The bats cashed in for 33, led by Sheff with 10 and 6 from the el cheapo of the day, Skip Shumaker. Bay and Benji were the only busts. Lincecum pitched in 33 of his own for a total of 66. This moves us up to #94 and 29 points off the Leaderboard pace. It’s no surprise that I didn’t move up more as all but one of the leaders had either Lince or Greinke. I’ll take it.

TODAY

With help from JT Shunta’s spectacular weather predicting, I was not scared off of the Johan pick and it appears that my entire team will play today. 74% of the leaders agreed. Thanks, JT. Here is the lineup again:

C – Mauer
1B – Tex
2B – Cano
3B – Aroid
SS – Tejada
LF – Francisco (el cheapo daily special)
CF – Hamilton
RF – Pence
DH – Blalock
PS – Johan

TOMORROW

Again, Weather could be an issue today, so keep an eye out while picking your teams and check for rainouts and possible DH’s before cashing in for the night. Due to scheduling, it appears unlikely, but you don’t want to be the guy who lost out because you didn’t double check.

As usual, weather comes first – Tampa/Cleveland 50%, Detroit/Balty 50%. I see no reason to be concerned about either of these getting in but, as usual, I will double check before the end of the night.

Teams facing lefties – Tampa and the Cubbies

Teams facing rookies – Cleveland, Tampa (Huff has had 2 starts combining for 6.2 IP and 17.55 ERA), Boston (although Swarzak went 7 scoreless innings in his debut), Detroit (D. Hernandez is 3-1, 2.91 ERA. 60 K in 43 IP at AAA Norfolk) and the Dodgers (Wells has given up only 3 earned runs total in three starts).

There are only 5 games tomorrow and the batter/pitcher match-ups are crap all around. When this happens, I usually like to go against the rookies and my lineup will probably follow that theme today.

Pitcher – I see 4 options:
Beckett - .333 BAA, 2-0 2.67 ERA in May, but a 6.08 road ERA and the twins are rolling
Wolf – 2-1 and 3.02 ERA, 2.87 road ERA, 2.59 May ERA, .256 BAA
Lowe – 6 of last 7 starts were quality, low K’s, .268 BAA
Haren – 63 K in 63 IP, last 3 starts were very average, 2-3 2.00 home ERA, Braves suck
At this time, Haren at home is the pick over 3 questionable options on the road and he's relatively cheap.

First – Morneau is 3-9 vs. Beckett. I also like Pena vs. the rook, or Miggy vs. rook. Pena looks like the bettr match-up

Second – I have nothing here. Pedroia and Cabrera vs. rooks. However, Roberts usually treats me right and I love tohave a leadoff hitter in my lineup.

Third – Reynolds is 6-19 vs. Lowe, but Longoria vs. rook looks better, or Inge vs. rook. Evan just drives in too many runs to pass up.

Short – Drew is 14-27 with a HR vs. Lowe, Furcal and Peralta face rooks. I just don't trust Drew and Zobrist hits .342 vs. lefties. Zobrist it is in the El Cheapo pick of the day (3.8 mil)

Left – Crawford or Bay vs. rooks, red hot Pierre. Bay hurt me a little with the bust out last night,but I don't want to have too many from the Rays. I also need some pop. One more chance for my favorite Canadian.

Center – Sizemore vs. rook, same with Granderson. Grandy had another good game today and Adam Jones hits just under .400 vs. RHP. Add another O.

Right – Upton? Mags? No clue here. Mags has quietly put together a 10 game hitting streak andis wayoverdue. After a slow start he has hit .294 in may although he has not gone deep. I need to save cash and he isonly 4.0. Book it.

DH – dare I take Ortiz? Have you noticed that Greg Norton is valued high than Big Papi right now? That shoull be insulting enough for him to go deep twice. Why not?

C – Mauer may have to work. I can't afford him though......unless I drop bay and go for Juan - has gone for 23 points in the three times I have taken him - Pierre. Done.

I really don't care too much for this team, but here it is. God help us all.....

FINAL LINEUP

C – Mauer
1B – Pena
2B – Roberts
3B – Longoria
SS – Zobrist
LF – Pierre
CF – Jones
RF – Mags
DH – Big Papi
PS – Haren of the Desert

STAT CORNER

Who knew? Do you know which pitcher Albert Pujols has faced the most times without hitting one out? Believe it or not, it’s Jeff Suppan. After last night Fat Al has faced him 35 times with no long ball success. Brandon Webb is second on this list with 23.

The top 5 innings eaters with average innings pitched per start ( I know, there is no such thing as 7.5 innings):
1. Holliday 7.5
2. Greinke 7.5
3. Duke 7.2 (really?)
4. Millwood 7.2
5. C.C. 7.1
6. Haren 7.0

The top 5 starting pitchers in BAA (minimum 40 IP)
1. Volquez .185
2. Gallardo .193
3. Garza .200
4. Greinke .203
5. Kershaw .207

The top 5 pitchers in fewest home runs allowed (minimum 40 IP)
1. Greinke 0/75.0 IP
2. Lincecum 1/65.1 IP
3. Wandy 1/63.0 IP
4. Billingsley 1/67.0 IP
5. Meche 1/55.1 IP

Tomorrow, we will look at the worst pitchers in each of these categories.

DISCLAIMER

My picks are my picks. I do not tell people who to take. If you choose to follow my lead, do so at your own risk. Thanks again for taking your time to read this, please come again, tell your friends, and…….

FU Kerry Wood!

1 comment: